This tour of Llanidloes Church and churchyard will be conducted by the noted medieval historian Dr David Stephenson. The medieval church contains five of the fourteen arches either side of the much longer nave of the Cistercian Abbey Cwmhir. The arches, and other features, were taken from the Abbey at the time of its dissolution in 1536. The ceiling is celebrated for its carvings of angels bearing shields, on one of which is the date 1542. Less well known, and more difficult to see, are the wooden carvings of heads and animals beneath the angels which have been dated to around 1510.
September 23, Saturday: The tour starts at 1:45pm outside the church and is planned to end at 3:30pm. Refreshments are available in the village.