Because of coronavirus our programme
will be under constant review
Now for some good news: at last year’s AGM the decision was made to increase our annual subscriptions. Since the Executive Committee have no power to overrule an AGM decision, this must remain the formal position. However, in the light of this year’s unprecedented pandemic which has caused our events and activities to be so curtailed, the Executive Committee has decided not to enforce this increase for the coming year for existing members. There is, therefore no need to change any standing orders immediately and membership fees will be collected as in previous years.
All being well, the library will re-open on Tuesday 8th September from 10:00AM to 12:30PM and similarly on subsequent Tuesdays. We can probably only accommodate a maximum of two people in each room, and all visits have to be pre-booked without exception. If you want to reserve a place, please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org, letting me know the purpose of your visit and where you would like to be seated. If you want to look at anything in particular, I can try to find it for you if you let me know in advance.
The library has been deep-cleaned, and the water pressure for the wash basin taps has been restored. New rules (see: Covid-19 Library Rules) have been introduced to keep us all safe, and you will need to register your attendance in the spreadsheet on the desktop PC.
Notes and Queries: New Pages on Website
Our Secretary, Elizabeth Newman, has compiled a set of Notes and Queries which has been sent out to members whose email address we hold.
Issue 1 is HERE
Issue 2 is HERE
Programme changes So far:
Postponed: Meeting and Field Section walk, March 27 and March 29
Postponed: Field Section Annual Lunch, April 5
Postponed: The Mortimers all-day conference, May 16
Postponed: May 2, Saturday Visit to Museum and visit to logboat find site
Postponed: June 15,Monday day trip to Hergest Court
Postponed: July 10, Summer Picnic at Knucklas Castle Community Land Project
Unfortunately the Society Outing to Hafod has had to be postponed.
Postponed: Aug 16, Field Section visit to Castel Collen
Postponed: Sep 6 Field Section Visit to Pales Quaker meeting House
Postponed: Sep 4 Talk on The People who left Radnorshire for America
I am sure you have been keeping in touch with the rapidly developing situation and the risks that are entailed by spread of coronavirus infection.
We are keeping the other meetings in our programme under review and will be making announcements shortly both by email to those whose addresses we have, and on this website.
You will note that we are speaking of “postponement” rather than “cancellation”. We are hoping that meetings will be reinstated later when the time is appropriate. You will appreciate in this period of changing circumstances and risks we cannot set any dates at this time.
We will keep you informed.
Meanwhile take care and stay safe,
A microscope for amateur science in Wales
Many of you will already know Joe Botting and Lucy Muir. They have now made a major fossil discovery and need a more advanced microscope to study it in more detail and to publish their findings. To buy such a microscope they have just started a crowd funding drive. The following two paragraphs are taken from their gofundme page. This is an exciting and worthy project and you all have the opportunity to support it by making a contribution.
“An incredible new fossil site has been found near Llandrindod Wells, discovered and studied by a local married couple who are prominent independent (i.e. generally unpaid) scientists. To reveal it to the world (including public updates that will give you a front-row seat to the whole scientific process), we need a research-quality photomicroscope…
The microscope will also be made available to anyone who needs it. This not only has a real impact on uncovering a new chapter in our knowledge of ancient life, but provides a currently unavailable resource for the whole of the region. Please support us now, and watch the results flood in!”
More details, including a video, and how to contribute can be found at:
The following message was sent out by email to members regarding the Mortimer conference:
We have been monitoring events regarding coronavirus and the possible impact on the joint Radnorshire Society/Mortimer History Society conference scheduled for 16th May. As you know circumstances are evolving rapidly and the events of the last two days mean that we now have to make decisions. Particularly in light of Sunday morning’s announcement that it is almost certain that in the next couple of weeks the Government will require all over-70s and vulnerable people to be isolated for probably up to three months.
Reluctantly, given how much people are looking forward to the conference and the amount of preparation work that has already been done, we have come to the conclusion that we need to cancel the scheduled date of 16th May 2020 and re-arrange it for 15th May 2021. The main aspects that we have taken into consideration are:
– the health and safety of our members and non-members who would wish to attend the conference;
– a requirement for over-70s and vulnerable people to be isolated would significantly reduce attendance; and possibly three of the speakers would not be able to attend;
– given the speed at which events are evolving there is an extremely strong likelihood that we would be required to cancel the conference anyway, so better to do so now (particularly for people who have already made arrangements for travel and accommodation);
– we would normally be starting now to heavily publicise and promote the conference. But that is clearly not appropriate in the current climate, further reducing the chances of holding a successful conference;
– given the existing commitments of both the Radnorshire Society and the Mortimer History Society later in the year, the most straight forward thing to do is to postpone the conference to 15th May 2021.
If you have already booked your place at the conference, your booking automatically remains in place for the new date. You can of course cancel your booking and obtain a refund if you wish to do so. A message will be sent out via TicketSource.
We are very sorry to disappoint people. Just this morning one of our members commented: ‘I’m sure we’ll get through this if we all put common sense, kindness and compassion first!’ We very much look forward to normal service resuming.