logo

Nantiago Visit

Nantiago House

25th May, 2024 at 2.00pm

This date now fully booked. Overflow date 28 September has a few places left. All MUST book through Elsa as spaces limited. Those who do not book will be refused admission and thrown into the lake.

The house is reputed to have been built as a ‘hall house’ in about 1540, with some of the cruck frames still extant. Its primary use was that of a farm house as part of the Glebe Land of the local benefice; then early in the nineteenth century it became the vicarage at the behest of a new incumbent who was appointed from India by the Patron of the Living, the Earl of Powys.  It was at that time the house was enlarged to accommodate parish activities in the newly built drawing room, and so it remained for about a hundred and forty years before being sold off by auction in the  early 1950’s.  It has remained in private hands ever since, although falling into a measure of decay latterly, when under the control of executors.

Nant-Iago  (James’s  Stream) is now being overhauled for its next phase as a private home,  regularly shared  with the public  under the Historic Houses scheme of “Invitation to View”, and with other charitable organisations.  Visitors will be able to enjoy gardens and arboretum with good views, including five rescue owls,  three classic cars and the main rooms of the house containing memorabilia from some lost Welsh houses.

Directions: From Knighton take the B4355 Newtown road, following the Teme Valley. Turn right at Lloyney, signed Llanfair Waterdine. Turn right having crossed the river and the entrance is immediately on your left.