Transactions of The Radnorshire Society
Transactions Volumes 1 (1931) to 86 (2016)
The contents of The Transactions of the Radnorshire Society from Vol 1 (1931) to Vol 74 (2004) have been digitised. Full articles can be accessed online at Welsh Journals Online where there is a comprehensive search facility making it a powerful research tool. Some back issues are still available for those preferring hard copies and may be purchased from the Society’s Library.
Authors and titles of articles appearing in the Transactions from Vol 68 (1998) to Vol 86 (2016) are shown below.
John Glyn Hughes: Owain Glyndwr – The Radnorshire Case
Roger Coward: New Old Carvings From Cwmhir Abbey
Julian Lovell: A Walk Around Abbey Cwmhir
Melanie Walters And Tim Haines: A Curious Letter Written From Coed Trewernau Mill In 1819
Colin P F Hughes: Llanbister: Two Schools
Colin PF Hughes: Radnorshire’s Lost Elementary Schools Part Ii: From The School Board Era 1870 0nwards
Julian Ravest: Penybont Common (Rhos Swyth) Medieval Field System
John Hughes: Owen Glyndwr Family of Cenarth
Julian Lovell: Mystery of Cwm Hir Abbey
Richard Miles Miles: Family Emigration to America, 1682
Colin PF Hughes: Walking with the Welsh Cattle Drovers
Robert Anthony: Alcohol, Temperance or the Road to Ruin
Philip Hume: The Mortimers, Part 2
Dafydd Y Garth: Y Garth
D.R. Davies: Rhayader in the Eighteenth Century
Elizabeth Edwards & Alun Powell: Walter Powell, ‘a Llandrindod Resident’
TE John Lloyd: Rhayader & District Motor Cycle & Light Car Club
Clive Barrett: Archdeacon Henry de Winton
Phillip Jones: Early Birds in Radnorshire
Dr Joseph P Botting And Dr Lucy A Muir: A Globally Important New Window on the Evolution of Life in Radnorshire – And Microscopes to Study it
Dr Colin P.F. Hughes: Radnorshire’s ‘Lost’ Elementary Schools Part One: The Voluntary Era To 1870
Roger Coward: Man on a Goat
Angus Kaye: Churches from The Late Medieval Period to the 64 Eighteenth Century. Part III
Hugh Purcell: Up Top
Jim Saunders: Burford House
Walter Powell: Recollections of a Llandrindod Wells Resident
Clive Barrett: The Local Popular Team Game of Cricket 1844-1914
W.F. Grimes: Celebrating 90 years. Reprint of first article Dug Out Boat
C.B. Burgess: Edited by Frances Lynch Excavation of a Bronze Age Barrow near St Harmon
Peter Meurig Jones: Some Aspects of the Radnorshire Clergy in 1911
Julian Ravest: New Perspectives on Abbey Cwm Hir
Jonathon Riley: The Assault on Abbey Cwm Hir, December 1644
Duncan James: Hafod, Broad Street, Presteigne
Beverley F Ronalds: Alfred Ronalds and John Corrie Carter
Angus Kaye: Early Medieval Church in Radnorshire, 600 to 1200 AD
Julian Lovell: The Fowlers of Abbey Cwm Hir
Philip Hume: The Mortimers and Radnorshire (Part 1)
Clive Barrett: A History of Sport in Radnorshire Part III
Colin PF Hughes: Researching the History of the Cattle Drovers in Radnorshire
Stuart Fry: The Wheelcar: a Peculiarly Radnorshire Vehicle? 39
Nigel W Jones: Romans in the Radnor Valley: Excavation and Survey, 2009–2014 59
Aled Williams: Upland Place Names in North-East Radnorshire: along the Montgomeryshire Fence
Clive Barrett: A History of Sport in Radnorshire: Country Pursuits
Hilary Lloyd Yewlett: Early Modern Migration from the Mid-Wales County of Radnorshire to South-Eastern Pennsylvania, with Special Reference to three Meredith Families
Colin PF Hughes: ‘The Somme 1916: from behind the front lines’, pp 27-40
Pete Meurig Jones: ‘A Radnorshire Clergyman in St Aseph Diocese’, pp 41 47
Marion Loeffler: ‘Radnorshire and Newspapers before 1804’, pp 48-64
John Wiles: ‘Lordly Landscapes in post-Conquest Maelienydd’, pp 65-86
Rept: Colin PF Hughes: ‘Eric Ree’s Lecture on Mary Morgan of Presteigne’, pp 87-88
Kathleen Price: ‘Extracts from the Journal of Kathleen Price (1913-2003)’, pp 89-101
Aled Williams: ‘Upland Place Names in North-East Radnorshire’, pp 103-118
Michael Tomlinson: ‘Writing on the Wall’, pp 119-132
Hughes, Geraint MH, ‘Agricultural Shows in Radnorshire’, pp.27-35.
Hughes, Colin PF, (ed.), ‘Christmas on the Western Front, 1915: Extracts from the unpublished Great War diaries of Albert Hughs, R.A.S.C.’, pp.37-43.
Hawkins, Dai, ‘The History of the Welsh Language in Radnorshire: Decline and fall: Part Three’, pp.45-62.
Musson, Chris, ‘The Making of Radnorshire from above’, pp.63-80.
Scarfe, George Bufton, ed by Hughes, Colin PF, ‘The End of the Line, 1962: the Mid-Wales Railway’, pp.81-88.
Selwood, Ann, ‘The Rectors and Rectory of Aberedw, Radnorshire’, pp.89-102.
Williams, Aled, ‘Upland Place names in North Eeast Radnorshire: Brecon Hill: Part One’. pp.103-120.
Gee, Sue, ‘Welsh Borders of the Mind’, pp.121-130.
Lovell, Julian, ‘The Fowlers of Harnage Grange and Abbey-cwm-hir, c.1560-1828’, pp.131-142.
Gee, Sue, ‘Who would Remember a Curate?’ (review), pp143-148.
Bevan Robert: ‘Radnorshire Church Glass: a Survey’, pp.27-38.
Parker, Keith: ‘ Radnorshire Towns in the Nineteenth Century’, pp.39-58.
Conradi, Peter J: ‘The Making of Elizabeth Clarke’s The Valley’, pp.59-70.
Adams, Will and Hughes, Colin PF: ‘The Great War Remembered’, pp.71-84.
Hawkins, Dai, ‘The History of the Welsh Language in Radnorshire, 1000-2000 AD: Part Two’, pp.85-97.
Goodwin, Anne, ‘The Wordsworth/Hutchinson Family and the Welsh Borders’, pp.99-107.
Panizza, Paolo, trans. by Worth, Emilia, ed. by Hughes, Colin PF: ‘I wish I could run straight to you: Scandicci-Presteigne and back, 1939-1946’, pp.109-119.
Bulough, Tom, ‘Addlands’, pp.121-130.
Conradi, Peter J, ‘The History of Abb.eycwmhir’ (review), pp.131-132.
Conradi, Peter J, ‘Flights of fancy (review), pp.133-135.
Charmley, Gerard, ‘Frank Edwards (1852-1927): ‘The debonair and popular member for Radnorshire’: Part Two’, pp.27-41.
Hughes, Colin P F, ‘A School in a Toll-house: Education in Llanfihangel Rhydithon’, pp.43-54.
Hamilton, Craig, ‘Paradise Regained: A brief essay on the finding and making of Coed Mawr in Radnorshire’, pp.55-66.
Breeze, Andrew, ”Ornesta’ and the Hereford Map’, pp.67-69.
Hawkins, Dai, ‘The History of the Welsh Language in Radnorshire’ 1000-2000 AD: Part One’, pp.71-84.
Andrews, Chris, ‘Bringing the Bling back to Rhayader’, pp.85-95.
Hughes, Geraint M H, ‘The Changing Character of Radnorshire Clergy’, pp.97-107.
Slater, Fred, ‘The Changing Natural History of Radnorshire: Perception, reality and discovery’, pp.109-124.
Breeze, Andrew, ‘King Arthur and Dr Padel'(review), pp.125-127.
Breeze, Andrew, ‘The Ancient Stones of Wales’ (review), pp.128-130.
Brown, Helen Cosis, ‘Five Years in the Welsh Hills’ (review), pp.131-133.
Kenyon, Judith, ‘Radnorshire from Above'(review), pp.134-136.
Parker, Keith, ‘Radnorshire Taxes in the Reign of Henry VIII’ (review), pp.137-138.
Turner, Daphne, ”The Soul of the Land’: The art of photography’ (review), p.139-141.
Charmley, Gerard, ‘Frank Edwards (1852-1927): ‘The debonair and popular member for Radnorshire’: Part One’, pp.29-42.
Berkeley, Michael, ‘From Flint to Shale’, pp.43-50.
Payne, Ifan, ‘Thomas Jones the Artist by Ffransis G Payne: Part Two’, pp.51-72.
Gill, Margaret A V, ‘A Note on the Bell in Holy Trinity Church, Betws Clyro’, pp.73-78.
Shannon, Richard: ‘The Virtues of Unheroic Government: The counterfactual case for Sir George Cornewall Lewis: Part Two’, pp.79-90.
Livingston, Michael, ‘Hatfield’s Mystery Source for the Battle of Bryn Glas’, pp.91-94.
Rees, Richard Rhys, ‘The London Dams that Never Came to Wales’, pp.95-110.
Breeze, Andrew, ‘Kilvert’s ‘Tree on which the Devil Hung his Mother”, pp.111-112.
Yewlett, Hilary, ‘Walter Meredith (c.1558-1607): Scrivener of Radnorshire and London’, pp.113-132.
Hughes, Colin P F, ‘The History of a Radnorshire Border Town’ (review), pp.133-136.
Hawkins, Dai, ‘A Dragon with Two Tongues’ (review), pp.137-140.
Best, Sue: ‘Y Glob Byw ‘ The Willow Globe: The Mid Wales Shakespeare Centre, Penlanole, Llanwrthwl’, pp.25-38.
Hughes, Colin P F: ‘Glascwm Council School: One of the most isolated in the county’, pp.39-51.
James, Duncan: ‘Whitehall, Presteigne: A lost ceiling recovered’, pp.53-60.
Loeffler, Marion: ‘The Arcadia of Britain: Iolo Morganwg and Radnorshire’, pp.61-76.
Owen, Morfydd E: ‘A Fifteenth Century Law-book from Cefnllys’, pp.77-93.
Parker, Keith: ‘The Radnorshire Gentry in the Nineteenth Century’, pp.95-106.
Payne, Ifan: ‘Thomas Jones the Artist by Ffransis G Payne: Part One’, pp.107-118.
Shannon, Richard: ‘The Virtues of Unheroic Government: The counterfactual case for Sir George Cornewall Lewis: Part One’, pp.119-135.
Shannon, Richard: ‘Politics in Nineteenth Century Radnorshire’, pp.137-140.
Stephenson, David: ‘Llywelyn Fawr, the Mortimers and Cwmhir Abbey: the Politics of Monastic Rebuilding’, pp.29-41.
Barrett, Clive: ‘The Early Years of Football in Llandrindod Wells (1883-1911)’, pp.43-56.
Curnow, Bronwen: ‘Reporting the Building of the Elan Valley Dams’, pp.57-70.
Yewlett, Hilary Lloyd: ‘In Peril on the Sea: The Captivity Experience of Two Early Modern Radnorshire Migrants’, pp.71-82.
Page, Anna: ‘The Radnorshire Quarter Sessions, 1773-1873’, pp.83-98.
Readhead, Michael: ‘Puritans in Charge at Presteigne’, pp.99-102.
Evans, E D: ‘Robert Price (1653-1733) and his Radnorshire Associations’, pp.103-111.
Hughes, Colin P F: ‘Education in the Edw Valley and the Mystery of the School that Never Was’, pp.113-124.
Seymour, M C: ‘The Will of Dame Perynne Clanvowe’, pp.125-130.
Payne, Ifan: ‘Two Essay by Ffransis G Payne’, pp.131-146.
Jones, Julian: ‘The Radnorshire Wildlife Trust’, pp.147-152.
Turner, Daphne: ‘Hidden Histories’, pp.153-154.
Davies, Frances Jones: ‘Welsh Apples’, pp.155-157.
Turner, Daphne: ‘Welsh Art and Architecture’, pp.158-162.
Hawkins, Dai (Dafydd y Garth): ‘Ffransis Payne: Exploring Radnorshire: Part Two’, pp.23-191.
Hawkins, Dai (Dafydd y Garth): ‘Ffransis Payne: Exploring Radnorshire: Part One’, pp.23-208.
Gill, MAV: ‘Three documents’, pp.28-50.
Conradi, Peter J: ‘Seers and remembrancers’, pp.51-67.
Jones, Terry and Ereira Alan: ‘Terry Jones’s great map mystery’, pp.68-82.
Wheeler, Richard: ‘The late-medival rood-screen and rood-loft at Llananno, pp.83-132.
Roose-Evans, James: ‘The Bleddfa centre for the creative spirit’, pp.133-143.
Binding, Paul: ‘A stubborn landscape’, pp.144-149.
Shannon, Richard: ‘A tolerable life’, pp.150-157.
Fenn, RWD: ‘Houses and history’, pp.158-163.
Williams, D H: ‘Letters from the front: ninety years on’, pp.32-65
Gill, MAV: ‘A survey of floor-tiles in the churches of Radnorshire’, pp.66-75
Gill, MAV: ‘Concerning some early Radnorshire bell-ringers’, pp.76-87
Breeze, A: ‘Two Arthurian sites in Historia Brittonum’, 88-97
Rees, J: ‘Seed-time of genius: Shelley in Radnorshire’, pp.98-110
Parker, K: ‘The Radnorshire cottagers controversy’, pp.111-128
Priestley, S & Shurety, N: ‘A report on the excavation at Scottleton Street, Presteigne’, pp.129-143
Lewis, S: ‘A resort of the common people in great troops’, 144-167
Conradi, P: ‘Iris Murdoch and Wales’ pp. 26-34
Seymour, MC: ‘Sir John Clanvowe 1341 -1391’ pp. 35-58
Williams, M: ‘Sufferings and Openings’ pp. 100-114
Deakins, RM: ‘Agriculture in Radnorshire in World War II and After’ pp. 115-132
Parker, K: ‘The Sale of Crown Lands in Radnorshire’ pp. 151-173
Haycock, M: ‘The Scholarship and Creativity of Ffransis G Payne’ pp. 24 – 49
Botting, J P & Muir, LA: ‘The Fossil History of the Builth Inlier: Insights from a Classic Area’ pp. 50 – 84
Gill, MAV: ‘Flowers in a Changing Landscape: A survey of Vascular Plants in the Dolyhir/Strinds Quarries Estate pp. 127-150
Jones, NW: ‘Prehistoric Funerary and Ritual Monuments in Radnorshire’ pp. 151-168
Parker, K: ‘Radnorshire and the New Poor Law to circa 1850’ pp. 169-198
Sumner, A: ‘Thomas Jones – A Bicentenary Year of Celebration’ pp.21-33
Ashton, J: ‘The Italian Account Book of Thomas Jones the Artist’ pp.34-50
Fenn, RWD: ‘An address to Commemorate the Bicentenary of the Death of Thomas Jones’ pp. 51-56
Gill, MAV: ‘A Survey of Floor-Tiles in the Churches of Radnorshire: Part III: Gazetteer of Churches’ pp. 57-112
Silvester, RJ & Hankinson, R: ‘Clas, Church and Village at Glasbury’ pp. 113-126
Parker, K: ‘Parlimentary Enclosure in Radnorshire’ pp. 127-147
Sutton, MD & Silvester Dereck J, Briggs, DEG, Silvester, David J: ‘The Herefordshire Lagerstatte: A Fossil Deposit of International Importance’ pp. 148-162
Williams, DH: ‘A Clerical Son of Radnorshire: The Reverend Thomas Howel Evans and his Family’ pp. 163-192
Faraday, MA: ‘Radnorshire Lay Subsidy Assessment for 1544’ pp. 193-194
Gill MAV: ‘A survey of floor-tiles in the churches of Radnorshire: Parts I and II’ pp.26-83.
Fenn, RWD; Fenn, ACW and Sinclair, JB: ‘Radnorshire: some polite perceptions of its landscape’, pp.84-120.
Banks, WL: ‘Three houses on one estate’, pp.121-138.
Parker, K: ‘Radnorshire and the Old Poor Law, c.1800-1836’, pp.139-49.
Ridyard, GW: ‘Denys Corbett Wilson’, pp.150-159.
Cole, S: ‘Some nineteenth-century letters concerning the postal system in Radnorshire’, 160-66.
Gill, MAV: ‘Scheduled Ancient Monument R100 (SO 192417): The Cross-Slab in St Meilig’s Church, Llowes pp.19-55.
Gill, MAV: ‘The Parish Church of St Cynidr & St Peter at Glasbury-on-Wye: Bells and Bell-Frames’, pp.56-81.
Cave, M: ‘A Hundred Years of the Wishlade Family’, pp.82-103.
Williams, DH: ‘A Faithful Vicar of St Harmon: The Reverend Jonah Bowen Evans, BD’, pp.104-140.
Fenn, RWD and Sinclair, JB: ‘Diserth Parish Church’, pp.141-167.
Breeze , A: ‘The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle for 1053 and the killing of Rhys ap Rhydderch’, pp.168-9.
Fenn, RWD: ‘Anthony Powell, CBE, MA, DLITT 1905-2000’, pp.12-14.
Fenn, RWD: ‘The character of early Christianity in Radnorshire’, pp.15-46.
Oliver, RCB: ‘Jonathan Williams and his History of Radnorshire’, pp.47-57.
Drage, G: ‘The Flemish tapestry Presteign church’, pp.58-60.
Howse, WH: ‘The last royal visit to Radnor castle’, pp.61-2.
Bufton, RP: ‘Radnorshire fauna’, pp.63-6.
Newman, CW: ‘The tale of a boat’, pp.67-77.
Noble, F: ‘The traditional lore of school children in eastern Radnorshire recorded at Knighton county secondary school 1952-3’, pp.78-80.
Ashton, J: ‘The “discovering” of Thomas Jones, 1742-1803’, p.81.
Davies, DS: ‘Extract from the diaries and account book of Thomas Jones, Pencerrig’, pp.81-110.
Oliver, RCB: ‘Pencerrig house at the top of the rocks’, pp.110-123.
Ashton, J: ‘The revaluation of Thomas Jones the artist, of Pencerrig’, pp.123-4.
Barker, JR and Ridyard, GW: ‘The library of the Radnorshire Society’, pp.125-150.
Ashton, J: ‘Miss Gwen Eadie 1907-1999’, p.7.
Macpherson, T: ‘A measure of grace: Quakers in Radnorshire’, pp.8-33.
Banks, WL: ‘Gardening in the age of William Robinson: Hergest Croft, Kington, 1896-1910’, pp.34-47.
Gill, MAV: Flora from a corner of Radnorshire [VC43/SO13]’, pp.48-106.
Thompson, T: ‘Agriculture and change in a nineteenth century Radnorshire valley’, pp.107-115.
Williams, DH: ‘Stephen William Williams: The archaeologist and soldier: The man and his family’, pp.116-142.
Fenn, RWD & Sinclair, JB: ‘Geology and the border squires’, pp.143-172.
Breeze, A: ‘Cefnllys and the Hereford map’, TRS 69, pp.173-5.
Breeze, A: ‘The name of Hergest, near Kington’, pp.176-7.
Price, BM: ‘Worcester house, Llandrindod Wells’, pp.178-180.
Schmidt, K von: ‘James Barnes of Presteign’, pp.15-33.
Baskerville, N de Bar: ‘A matter of pedigree: the family and arms of Dr John Dee baptised in wine’, pp.34-52.
Parker, K: ‘Mid-17th century Radnorshire reconsidered’, pp.53-63.
Gill, MAV: ‘Victorian floor tiles from the parish churches of the Wye valley group’, pp.64-95.
Hughes, R: ‘A village with two names: the names of Gladestry’, pp.96-104.
Fenn, RWD & Sinclair, JB: ‘ “Radnorshire to her most distinguished son” Sir George Cornewall Lewis 1806-1863’, pp.105-138.
Reid, G: ‘The Powys digital history project: archives, local studies and the new technology’, pp.139-150.